Friday, November 13, 2009

Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks...

From reading blogs to discussions with other moms, I have been thinking on the importance of memorizing Scripture over the last year. Then this week, a blog that I often read by Ann Voskamp, had a wonderful entry about it. This author has a way with words that is sooo natural to her and makes reading her blog so intriguing. I also watched the J. Piper clips that she included, and the second one just made me want so badly to be able to do what he did! How rich our lives would be if full books could flow out of our hearts and minds... I had never thought about why it's important to memorize full books. Here is one exerpt from a link that was on her blog entry:

"But memorizing entire books verse by verse enables the person to go easily from the "trees to the forest" and back again. This person will be able to tell you the overall flow of the book of Galatians, for example, as well as how each paragraph fits into this flow, and how each verse contributes to each paragraph. Thus, there is far less likelihood of taking verses out of context when entire books are memorized."

If you look at that link, it's a PDF that gives really practical steps on how to memorize full books, how to have a goal, how to give yourself a little room for missing a day, how to keep that Scripture in your long-term memory, etc. A lot of work, but very, very BENEFICIAL work, I'd say.

I want to be able to help others and have better things to say when they are in need... and what do they say, "out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks."

I hope that you are encouraged--if not by my words, then by Ann Voskamp's.

No comments:

Post a Comment