Wednesday, March 3, 2010

“To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark.”

The quote above is from French author V. Hugo of the 1800s. Isn't it true that reading is extraordinarily p o w e r f u l ?!

Thanks, Mom, for teaching me to read (before Kindergarten)!
Here are a few recommendations of books that I have enjoyed:

Sharon Creech's poetry in Love That Dog is wonderful read aloud to elementary-age children. Anyone who enjoys good literature would appreciate Creech's writing in this book.
D. G. Hart's Recovering Mother Kirk is a little meatier and will be of interest to you if you are interested in the relationship between theology (especially Reformed theology) and corporate worship. I was particularly drawn to the sections where Hart calls for the Reformed tradition to return to its "high church" traditions.
John Piper's Christian biographies, especially these of John Bunyan, William Cowper, and David Brainerd, are quite encouraging. These men suffered through their Kingdom labors. After reading this book, I was refreshed to persevere in the faith through each new day! Piper is very easy to read.
I could not recommend a better read aloud for your family at home than Kate DiCamillo's The Tale of Despereaux. My students were captivated at the end of each chapter. I would read them the name to the sequential chapter, and they were quite enthusiastic about remembering it for the next day. This author actually addresses the Reader in this book, which made me feel tied even closer to the characters and the author. If you like to do voices when you read aloud, this book is perfectly suited for that. I have not seen the movie, because I'm afraid it would ruin my mental pictures. Please, go get this book for your family!
Entertaining books: If you like the TV show "24," you will undoubtedly like this author's series. Vince Flynn helped write that show, and these books are very, very addictive if you like government/spy/terrorist type movies/books. Justin and I have read all of these books, and when one is in the house, NOTHING gets accomplished until the book is finished.

Isn't it difficult to pick just a few books to write about?!

No comments:

Post a Comment